Monday, March 3, 2014

Q and A Time!



First, I want to give a shout out to Penelope over at Library at the end of the Universe. She was interested in the way I have approached my craft as a writer/novelist. (http://www.libraryattheendofuniverse.com/. Her inquiring has spurred me to post this blog. Please stop by her page and check it out! She is a pretty fabulous blogger and author!


So, what are the burning questions? Here we go!

1) What am I working on?  
I am working faithfully on Transcending the Legacy: Book 4 in my Young Adult Paranormal Sci-Fi series, Piercing the Fold. This is the final book in the series so I am extremely focused on fulfilling everything I want and I know the fans will want in a finale :) 
Beyond the PtF Series, I have FIVE projects that span multiple sub-genres in Young Adult, New Adult, and Adult fiction. Many of these are on the oppposite end of the spectrum to the paranormal sci-fi series I am completing. The projects I have coming will carry me through 2016 for releases. They will all be full-length novels and stand-alone novels rather than series driven novels. Here is a teaser of the project I will be working on after Transcending the Legacy: Book 4.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?
Great question, but a hard one without sounding like I am bragging.  Let me give it a go.  I have a tendency to blend genres I think.  For instance, the Piercing the Fold series blends romance, psychological thriller, paranormal, and science fiction.  Science fiction and paranormal aren't normally blended, but this series has brought them together.  HOW you ask? Well, the blend is in the fact that in PtF we are dealing with the metaphysical, the supernatural, and then unorthodox contemporary science. My next project (post PtF series) will be another non-traditional blend too;  New Adult contemporary fiction is the base genre in that one. 

3) Why do I write what I do?
This is a two-fold question. First, Why do I write:
Because my mind won't let it go.  That is a fact.  When an idea gets into my head, it blossoms quickly and then stays there, camped out, hounding me, until I write it. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that these ideas stay with me until I have written them. But, like every other writer, there are not enough hours in the day to get everything down at times, so have a great memory helps immensely.  
Now, Why do I write what I do: 
The content just comes to me.  I don't keep myself guarded in a particular genre so I have multiple projects coming that will range between New Adult Contemporary Fiction, Psychological Thriller, Adult Contemporary Romance, Adult Paranormal Sci-Fi, and more.  So, I center my writing around a story, the characters, the idea.  The genre comes later in the process for me. 


4) How does my writing process work?
It is a process for sure. First, I have a skeleton outline....very loose. Then, I get on my nifty excel program, take the skeleton outline, and flesh it out giving it some meat on the bones. From that 15 to 20 page outline (about a 80K page novel), I will start creating, building, buffing up the outline. This part is my favorite because this is where the creativity and storytelling comes into play in the process. My outline definitely keeps me structured when I stray too far into the creative realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers